Job Posting: Branch Librarian – Pend Oreille County Library District
Job Title: POCLD – Branch Librarian
Location: Calispel Valley, Ione, Metaline Falls or Newport
Supervisor: Director of Library Services
Salary: $13.75 to $20.00 per hour
Under the general supervision of the Director, manages the day-to-day operation of a POCLD Branch. Responsible for creating a climate of friendly and efficient customer service. Manages all activities of the library relating to programming, collection management, and circulation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Process incoming and outgoing materials from CIN libraries and the POCLD courier each week.
Responsible for monies collected from patrons, ensuring accurate recordkeeping.
Responsible for monthly branch reports, tabulating program and daily statistics for district, state and national reports.
Handles all in-depth patron account issues, problems with holds, POCLD discrepancies and CIN patron issues.
Assists patrons in finding information, resources and materials in the library, online and accessing specific databases.
Maintains confidentiality of all patron records and transactions.
Collection Development and Cataloging
Responsible for acquisition, cataloging, de-selection, relocation, and systematic removal of library materials.
Selects, downloads, and verifies bibliographic records from national and local databases.
Assists patrons in use of computers, mobile devices, printing, word processing, faxing and other specialized equipment.
Ability to assist patrons with digital and social media formats. Handles software or hardware questions and computer troubleshooting.
Plans, prepares, promotes and delivers programs to patrons in a variety of settings.
Works with Friends of the Library groups to promote library services and fundraise for branch.
Participates in community outreach and partnerships with local educational, nonprofit and business entities.
Participates and executes the branch summer reading program.
Follows established opening and closing procedures of library facility.
Monitors branch supplies and plans for needed items in a timely manner.
Maintain library facilities in a neat, orderly, clean, and organized state for patron and staff safety.
Reports all facility and safety problems to Financial and Facilities Manager. In emergency situations, keeps Director of Library Services informed.
Assists with overseeing POCLD library support staff, ensuring timely completion of tasks and assists in recruiting, training, and retaining library support staff and volunteers.
Competencies To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies and must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Knowledge of library reference and cataloging methods
- Knowledge of bibliographic sources of information
- Knowledge of the purchase of library books and materials
- Ability to keep routine records and make routine reports involving the presentation of facts, data, etc.
- Knowledge of “MARC” records and “Koha” library system
- Ability to manage projects to completion
- Ability to provide excellent customer service
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to resolve conflicts
- Demonstrates ethical behavior
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment and ability to prioritize work activities
- Practices good work habits
- Follows established safety and security procedures
- Knowledge of alphabetical and Dewey Decimal filing systems
- Knowledge or familiarity with common computer/mobile devices, applications, and digital formats. Extensive use of computer keyboard and terminal required.
- Ability to work varied schedules, including evenings and Saturdays
- Requires use of a personal vehicle with a valid driver’s license and proof of current liability insurance.
Education and/or Experience
Associate’s degree in library or information science and three years related library experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and library experience.
US citizenship or documentation of eligibility for this position on US Immigration and Naturalization Form I-9, prior to beginning employment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
For more information, contact:
Lori Slover, Director of Library Services
Pend Oreille County Library District
116. S. Washington Avenue
Newport, WA 99156